Making USACO Silver in about 4 weeks

Hi,

Is it likely possible for me to start learning coding syntax now and getting silver in march? I did like 2 months of sparse practice last year but didn’t have time, but I can commit at least an hour or 2 per day this year. Essentially my question is, will about 60 hours or learning suffice for silver without much prior experience?

I do a lot of competition math, so I have experience in problem solving.

Thanks!

You need more than that. The math may help somewhat, but you’d probably need 2-3 hrs on weekdays and dedicate many more hrs on weekends.

So would you say 100 hours is enough?

There’s no “enough”:

The more the merrier.
- a gazillion people

Alright then. I’ll just try my best for the next few weeks, and if I don’t make it this year then oh well. I’m just too busy in the competition season so I never get a chance to really do coding.

Hi,

I am having an issue in vs community regarding not being able to see the line numbers, any idea why this is?

Thanks!
Screenshot 2024-02-26 214535

also I don’t recommend using visual studio for cp, because it defaults to MSVC compiler so you can’t use <bits/stdc++.h> or declare a static array with user-defined sizes

What would you recommend? Multiple sources I found has vs listed as the top choice. Thanks.

Enabled it, still does not show.

Got it now. What would you recommend instead of vs?

https://ide.usaco.guide
It’s good for competiive programming.

Visual studio is designed for big projects.

Thank you.

sublime text