Hoofball Solution (Bronze Feb 2018)

Continuing the discussion from Hoofball Bronze February 2018:

I will come back to the linked thread about my approach later on. However, I want to understand why the official analysis is correct. It says that the only cases FJ has to distribute a ball is:

1. A cow is a “source” (passes the ball away but never gets a ball back);
  2. A pair of adjacent cows who pass to each other and don’t receive from anyone else.

I don’t follow why these are the only 2 cases. If these conditions are met, why must it be possible for all cows to touch the ball?

• What happens if a cow receives a pass from 2 cows (both neighbors) and passes back to one of them?

What about a pair that passes to each other but does not receive passes solely from its other partner?

• Intuitively, why will every cow who receives a pass from A and passes to B \ne A always touch the ball if the “source” and “isolated pairs” are given initial balls?

• Why is a pair of adjacent cows who receive & pass solely b/w each other the only such “isolated component”?

• Why are cows with indegree of 0 and pairs with isolated components the only cows we have to consider?

I can’t wrap my head, intuitively, around why those categories are the only initial players who need balls. Thank you, in advance.

That’s the sample case.

Because it works on the three types of cases given below:

Case 1: Two cows who pass to each other and don’t receive from anyone else. In this case, the answer is 1.

3 4

Case 2: Two cows who pass to each other and receive from one end. In this case, the answer is 1 (pass to the source on the left end).

1 3 6 7

Case 3: Two cows who pass to each other and receive from both ends. In this case, the answer is 2 (pass to the sources on both ends).

7 1 3 11 4

Every bigger case is just the union of a bunch of these smaller cases.

You can see that case 1 is the only case without a “source.”

Thank you, this makes sense. I understand the solution now.